Don’t Ignore Your Stairs
Stairs are a fascinating element of design for me. When one goes into a beautifully architectured home or business, the eyes are immediately drawn to the stairs — they make a statement. Yet, in most homes, the stairs are strictly a means of getting from one floor to another with little attention paid to the design. As a result, a huge opportunity to make a statement is missed.
The primary staircase is typically in the entryway of a home, and what better way to redesign your foyer than by giving those mundane stairs a facelift?
Here are a few simple ways to refresh your staircase without dropping a significant amount of money on materials.
- Add contrast: If you have wooden stairs, paint the vertical panel a color that provides a deep contrast to the horizontal step. Go bold with a jeweled purple or green to contrast a neutral.
- Add texture: Add a textured paint or wallpaper to the vertical panel to add additional depth.
- Add lighting: Add a small light underneath the horizontal panel to provide gorgeous illumination.
- Add tile: Completely revamp your stairs by adding decorative tile. You can completely cover the stairs, or simply cover the vertical or horizontal panels.
- Add carpet: Add a patterned carpet runner to your wooden stairs to add a touch of decoration and traction. I personally love bold prints on stairs.
- Add metal: Cover your stairs in metal paneling to give a modern or industrial look to your room.
- Add text: Do you have words that are meaningful to you? Paint a few on your stairs.
What's Your Reaction?